Equally pictured beneath, I have a iv" x half dozen" rectangular hole in my drywall, which I cut using a jab saw. I program to patch with the original drywall piece that I cutout, with a couple of furring strips behind. (They are 0.75" ten 1.5".)

Questions:

  1. Practice I demand to utilize drywall tape, or could I get away with just using the drywall mud?

  2. Will I demand the standard 3 coats of mud? And the wider knives? (I only have a two" now.)

  3. How do I avoid bumps from the patch (i.e. tape & drywall mud raised on the wall)?

  4. What would happen if I just used the furring strips, and filled the gaps with spackle?

  5. Annihilation else I should be asking?

drywall hole, cutout, and furring strips

asked Jul 21, 2017 at 1:20

i Reply ane

You are on the right track.

  1. Do I need to apply drywall tape, or could I become away with only using the drywall mud? Use tape. It bridges gaps and reduces cracking.
  2. Will I need the standard 3 coats of mud? And the wider knives? (I only have a 2" now.) Maybe. Effort ii. Run across how it looks. I would go at least a 4" knife though.
  3. How do I avoid bumps from the patch (i.east. tape & drywall mud raised on the wall)? Care. Slightly bevel the edges of the insert and the existing wallboard before tape and mud. Sand between coats. If at that place is a lump, remove it earlier you lot allow it prepare. Mostly, practice.
  4. What would happen if I just used the furring strips, and filled the gaps with spackle? Don't. The texture will never exist the same. And a spackled hole that size will shrink and expand at a different rate than the surrounding wallboard, leading to cracks. Your current approach is a expert one.
  5. Annihilation else I should be request? Sounds like you are on track. Patience is the key. Let the surface build slowly and dry in betwixt. Damp sanding of mud is often most effective. Don't forget to prime the new mud.

answered Jul 21, 2017 at i:42

2

  • "Don't forget to prime the new mud." What does this hateful?

    Jul 21, 2017 at 1:44

  • Later all is patched and sanded, you demand to prime number (primer paint) raw mud before a finish coat of paint. Mud absorbs pigment differently from already pained wallboard

    Jul 21, 2017 at three:04

Non the answer you're looking for? Scan other questions tagged drywall walls patch or ask your own question.